A 2-day event in Whistler. This page details Day 1. The second day's info is here. Stay tuned.
General Location: https://goo.gl/maps/oUzZHAdjzA32
- First WJR event early afternoon on Saturday so everybody has time to arrive
- Potluck on Saturday evening at Whistler Athletes Centre (WAC), There is a large, well stocked kitchen with fridges, freezers, industrial stove and oven etc.
- Second WJR event on Sunday morning.
- Some cliffs
- If rainy, as usual, logs and wood structures used on mountain bike trails will be especially slippery. These must be avoided as they are also high above ground and meeting a rider there would be unwelcome.
- Mountain bikers (!): especially on the smaller trails.
- Some black bears, sometimes are around. They usually run, the question is whether they decide to run away from you (most of the time) or towards you (on occasion).
- Mosquitoes will probably have hatched by then. In this case they can be in vast numbers and tend to hunt in large groups.
Accommodation options and info:
Email or phone at 604-964-0052 .The Front Desk is available daily from 7:00am to 11:00pm.
There are 4 room types:
WAC is about 15-20 min by car to the starts for each day. Whistler Municipality Transit is also available from this location
firstname.lastname@example.org 1.866.762.4122 1.778.328.2220
There is ~ 40 tent sites with water 29$ (2 adults , 2 children, extra adult 10$, extra children 5$.
Located about 20-25 min by car to course starts. No transit.
(d) CalCheak Recreation site (no water apparently (?), so bring some if you go there), ~ 15$ per site, 50 sites, first come first serve.
Located about 20-25 min by car to course starts. No transit. Map
Located about 5 min by car to course starts. Walkable also.
Pic credit: OK Linné
Why Just Run
What should I bring? Wear something comfortable that you don't mind getting a little dirty! If it's wet outside, you might want to consider a change of shoes and socks! A compass is optional (we have extra ones for borrowing). For added safety, a whistle is mandatory for all GVOC events. Read more in the WJR Introduction to Orienteering.
How much does it cost? Regular "Why Just Run:" events cost adult: $10 / under 20: $5 / family maximum: $20 (sorry, we only accept cash and cheques - no credit or debit). Some special events may cost a little more, and this will be made clear in the event detail above.
Club membership is also required: adult newcomer: $10 / adult renewal: $20 / under 20: $5 / family maximum: $40 (sorry, we only accept cash and cheques - no credit or debit)
Membership lasts until the end of the year, and gives you FREE access to all our weekly Wednesday Evening Training events.
2019 online waiver and membership form
Please complete before your first event!
Intermediate11 controls, trails & more tricky terrain
Expert17 controls, with complex navigation