Map: McCartney Creek
Another go at forest orienteering before the BCOC !
6:15pm Introduction to Orienteering for Beginners
6:30pm Starts (or earlier if you are ready, especially for long and expert courses)
7:00pm Last start for Elite & Expert course due to shorter daylight
8:00 pm Course Closure, participants must report to the Finish before leaving. Double important today because of the forest setting.
4 courses for today's training, all in the forest:
- Beginner++: controls are along trails. Why ++ ?, controls 7 & 8 are slightly off-trail and will require paying attention
- Intermediate: Don't be fooled by the short distance, controls are off-trail, and even though you may approach them via some trails, tighter navigation will be required if you don't want to spend the night ( please don't spend the night)
- Expert: Technical, we could call it a Middle.
- Elite: technical with longer legs. Sort of like a double-headed monster: a "Long Middle"
***This being said... be aware that this area has a lot of unofficial trails that are not mapped. You will need to use terrain, vegetation features, etc... to cross-reference your navigation.***
- Safety Bearing: SOUTH
- Tonight you must show your whistle to get a map...if you are not familiar with the trails, you could wander for a while out there.
- Check the time, if need be: bail, so you are back at finish for 8:00pm
- talking about time... Sunset is at 8:18pm , so by 7:45pm or so and earlier if cloudy, it will feel like dusk in the forest, so it would be a very good idea to have a headlight so you can see the map clearly.
- Always use good judgment and common sense. Take care when crossing roads and parking lots.
- Watch out for other runners, cyclists & mountain bikers, and trail/sidewalk users.
- Wildlife: a black bear here and there is not out of the question... They like dusk... bring your bear spay if you'd like.
- If rainy, expect some slippery roots and logs... Wx forecast.
There is parking along Hyannis drive. No public washroom it seems.
From google map... :
Without volunteers, these events cannot take place. A hearty thanks to all those helping put this event on. If you would like to volunteer/help at upcoming WETs/WJRs or would like to organize a WET please let us know.