Map: King Edward West
First Laurent's O Special !
If you liked Sumas Mt. training in April, here is a WET version of it with a mix of trails and.... forest. The Park's forested areas should make for interesting orienteering, and also are somewhat "Blair Witch Project" like. But that shouldn't be a problem as long as you keep running (fast).
Update: Along the "Longer" and "Full" courses, there is now two 30-second bonus items to be found: a full size arm chair (!) , yes you read this correctly, and a nicely weathered desk chair.
You do not have to bring these back with you, but you will have to let us know at which controls along your course the items were spotted to get your 30 second bonus. If you are running the beginner course and you see the arm chair ... well that probably means you are lost, but you will immediately feel better knowing you still get 30 seconds off your time. If you see the desk chair while on the beginner course, you are likely not totally lost, but things aren't going too too well either. You still get the bonus though.
6:15pm Introduction to Orienteering for Beginners
8pm Course Closure, participants must report to the Finish before leaving.
3 courses :
- Short Adventure: with a course that is mostly on trail
- Longer Adventure: with more distance, and forest navigation on trails (mostly)
- Full Adventure: More forest and longer distance.
- up to 2x 30 second bonus for the arm chair and/or desk chair sighting(s) with control number(s) as proof.
- Always use good judgement and common sense. Carry a whistle at all times. Headlamps are essential to see and be seen. Take care when crossing roads and parking lots. Watch out for other runners, cyclists, and trail/sidewalk users.
- You must check back to the start no later than 8pm, even if you haven't completed your course.
- There is a section of boardwalk on the course, its south branch hardly sees any sun and is often very slippery, even if it hasn't rained in a while (good luck for that), so beware if you run through this section
Corner of Camosun Street and 17th Avenue W. in Vancouver, West Point Grey/ Arbutus Ridge Area. There is the Queen Elizabeth Elementary School there where we will start from.
There is parking on 16th, and on 17th and 18th Ave.
Without volunteers, these events cannot take place. A hearty thanks to all those helping put this event on. If you would like to volunteer/help at upcoming WETs/WJRs or would like to organize a WET please let us know.