Map: Spanish Banks
Thanks all for coming out! It was pretty epic seeing everyone running around on the sand :)
Hopefully we can run another event on this map in the summer.
Important notes: later than normal start time, bring your SI stick if you have one!
Ready to try the next big thing in orienteering? Come orienteer below the tide line at Spanish Banks! As far as I know, this is the first time an orienteering event has taken place almost entirely below the high tide line.
Special notes (subject to change):
- We will have SI timing. Bring your SI stick if you have one!
- Prepare to get wet, bring a change of shoes/pants for after.
- Compasses not allowed
- Crossing water is allowed
- Deeper areas of water are marked with the pond symbol - these are probably crossable, but you'll be slow and get your feet really wet
- Shallower areas of water are marked with the indistinct marsh symbol (the water will probably completely drain out of these areas by the end of the event too)
- Form lines are used to show more elevated areas of sand (this sand is typically more firm, better for running)
- Rough open land symbol is used to map all sand, instead of the open sandy ground (this symbol made the map harder to read, and since this map is totally non-standard, I figured I might as well break another rule)
- Maybe: a special prize for someone who keeps their shoes dry?
- Map inaccuracies should be expected
- Dark blue is used to show deeper water areas (that I've discovered the hard way ;)
The schedule is approximate, it may change by +-15 mins on the day. Please be ready to race at 7:30pm, we'll try to start people as soon as we think the course is reasonably runnable.
19:30 Starts begin for walkers
19:45 Starts begin for runners
19:45 Last start for walkers
20:00 Last start for runners
20:45 Course Closure
Meet at the little building where they serve food during the summer. Lots of parking available nearby. Nearest transit is on 4th unfortunately.
There are bathrooms right at the start. There is a bit of undercover area, lets hope it isn't the one day it rains.
We'll probably go somewhere for dinner in Point Grey/Kits after.
Without volunteers, these events cannot take place. A hearty thanks to all those helping put this event on. If you would like to volunteer/help at upcoming WETs/WJRs or would like to organize a WET please let us know.