Organizers: Daniel Widmann (Event Director), Chris Benn (Organizer), Caoimhe Murray (Event Director), Joanne Woods (Membership), Dawn Lessowai (Membership), Karen Lachance (Membership), Stan Woods (Coach), Trevor Siemens (Assistant)
Map: Robert Burnaby Park
*Results for the WJR are posted in the link.
Please note the Start control time was out by approx. 2 mins so the first leg times are very short.
The times are correct relative to each other though!*
We will have two events running at Robert Burnaby Park at the same time so make sure you sign up for the right one!
- This page is for the regular Why Just Run (WJR) Orienteering event
- We will also be running a Beginners Clinic for people new to orienteering. This will be an introduction to orienteering and will cover the basics of the sport. It will be most suited to those who have never orienteered before. Sign up here: https://gvoc.whyjustrun.ca/events/view/5014
For our WJR event, 4 courses will be offered:
- Kids course - This will be a short course where participants can use the map but will mostly follow pin flags. There will be stickers at each control location which can be put on the map at the corresponding control number. This will suit smaller kids or neurodivergent folks who find map reading difficult and don't want to go far.
- Begin-termediate course - This course will suit beginners or intermediates. It will consist of 3 loops, each one getting a bit longer and more difficult. Participants can do as many loops as desired in whatever order you choose. Beginners should likely start with the easiest loop while intermediates who want a shorter event might just do the harder loop.
- Advanced Short - This will have the same technical difficulty as the long but will skip some of the farther out controls. As our permit for this map requires us to stay on trails, this could be a good option for more advanced intermediates.
- Advanced Long The full meal deal. This will be a fairly long course with quite a bit of uphill. As the permit requires us to stay on trail, expect quick finishing times and lots of route choice.
- Event registration from 9:30am to 10:30am
- Starts from 9:30am to 11:00am
- Course closure (must be back to finish) 1pm
Registration will be on InterPodia. See link above and to the right on this page. See who has signed up here
Volunteer sign up https://docs.google.com/spreadsheets/d/1hCafgCtEBv...
All our events are completely volunteer driven and we are always looking for people to help out. If you have time to help, either on the day or with the organizing in advance, please pop your details in the volunteer sheet here. Most tasks are small and many don't require orienteering skills so it's a good way to meet other members if you're new to the club!