Sunday, March 23 10-3pm Firefighter's Social and Athletic Club - 6515 Bonsor Ave, Burnaby (near Metrotown)
The Canadian orienteering community has been waiting many years for Orienteering Canada's new officials' certification program. Be one of the first people in the country to take the updated program. The goal of the officials' program is to teach best practices for course planning and event direction to orienteering officials across the country.
Who should take this course?
If you have planned several WET events and are interested in planning a Why Just Run event or have planned several WJRs but want to refresh your technical skills.
What will I learn?
This course is designed to teach the basic principles of organization and course planning for a Why Just Run level event. You will learn how to use the main aspects of the computer/SI system, plan good courses of varying length and difficulty, and all of the additional responsibilities of an event director at a why just run level event.
To be considered as a candidate for the O200 Officials’ course, the
candidate must meet the following pre-requisites:
• Acted as an official in at least one C event (WET)
• Participated in a B event and a Canada Cup in his/her age class (Why Just Run)
• Be qualified as an O100 official (This may be waived if candidate is advanced enough)
To become a certified O200 Official, the candidate must complete the
• Attend all sessions of the O200 course
• Pass the O200 exam – 80% or better
• Plan five courses – beginner, easy intermediate, intermediate, short
advanced, and long advanced– which comply to B event standards
• Program SI units and serve as timer at a B event
• Act as an event director or course planner for a B event under guidance of
an experienced official qualified at O300 or above. Officials specializing in
timing or map printing are exempt from this practicum
• Act as a controller for a C event under guidance of an experienced official
qualified at O200 or above. Officials specializing in timing or map printing
are exempt from this practicum
If you have any questions don't hestitate to contact me.
The class is free but please register in advance so that we know how many materials to produce.